It is important to note that these FAQs are not intended as a substitute for the definitions, interpretations, etc., contained in the respective rent regulatory statutes, codes, and regulations themselves, or any administrative or court decision construing such statutes, codes, and regulations, or any order of the New York City or County Rent Guidelines Boards.
- For COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information, see our Legal Assistance webpage.
- Affordable Housing
- Co-ops & Condos
- Conversion & Demolition
- Leases (Renewal & Vacancy)
- Owner/Landlord Questions
- Primary Residence
- Quality of Life
- Rent Control
- Rent Increases
- Rent Stabilization
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Security Deposits
- Succession Rights
- Tax Abatements & Exemptions
NYS Homes and Community Renewal’s Office of Rent Administration (HCR-ORA) also offers information on their site:
- HCR-ORA Office Visit Procedures due to COVID-19 (pdf)
- Ask HCR Web Portal (to find out if your apartment is rent stabilized, or to obtain your rental history)
- Common Rent Regulation Issues for Tenants
- Rent Increases and Rent Overcharge
- Individual Apartment Improvements (IAIs) & Major Capital Improvements (MCIs)
- Leases (Security Deposits, Roommates, Sublets, and More)
- Living Conditions and Essential Services
- Surcharges and Fees
- Disabled Persons and Senior Citizens Special Rights
- Additional Tenant Rent Regulation Topics (near bottom of page)
The Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants provides information on tenant rights for regulated and unregulated tenants.
HPD provides a Tenants’ Rights FAQ.