It is important to note that these FAQs are not intended as a substitute for the definitions, interpretations, etc., contained in the respective rent regulatory statutes, codes, and regulations themselves, or any administrative or court decision construing such statutes, codes, and regulations, or any order of the New York City or County Rent Guidelines Boards.
Can my landlord evict me so they can demolish my building?

A landlord who wishes to demolish a building must get permission from NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), the state agency which administers the rent laws. Details can be found in HCR’s Fact Sheet 11: Demolition and on HCR’s Eviction webpage. Unregulated tenants are not generally entitled to any benefits.

However, if the building is deemed unsafe, a Vacate Order may be issued by the City. Information can be found on the NYC Dept. of Buildings website. If you have any questions about your continuing rights following the vacate order, we suggest you get legal advice, which can be obtained by visiting our Legal Assistance page. You also may have rights to relocate back in the building, if it is to be repaired or rebuilt.

Back to Top

My landlord has illegally converted the basement into apartments. What can be done about it?

An illegal conversion is an alteration or modification of an existing building to create an additional housing unit without first obtaining approval from the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB). To find out more, and/or to file a complaint, consult DOB on Illegal Conversions

Back to Top

If my stabilized building was converted from 6 to 5 units, can I still get a renewal lease?

In general, if the owner converts a rent regulated building into one with five or fewer units, the tenants in occupancy remain under rent regulation. For more information, contact NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), the state agency which administers the rent laws.

Back to Top