It is important to note that these FAQs are not intended as a substitute for the definitions, interpretations, etc., contained in the respective rent regulatory statutes, codes, and regulations themselves, or any administrative or court decision construing such statutes, codes, and regulations, or any order of the New York City or County Rent Guidelines Boards.
- How can I find an affordable apartment?
- I have fallen behind on my rent. How can I get help?
- Where can I get information about affordable housing for seniors?
- What are the income limits for “affordable” housing programs?
- Are 20% of new luxury buildings set aside for middle income tenants? How can I find “80/20” housing in NYC?
- How can I get help in buying affordable housing?
How can I find an affordable apartment?
The NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) offers Affordable Housing Opportunities throughout the city.
The NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) also offers links to Affordable Housing around the city and state.
In addition, our website offers information on finding affordable housing in our Apartment Hunting Guide.
I have fallen behind on my rent. How can I get help?
You may want to try the following groups/programs:
- The NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS) offers information for those who are having difficulty paying their rent and/or facing eviction. DHS also offers assistance for those facing domestic violence and the Homebase program, which offers an extensive network of neighborhood-based services.
- See our page on finding assistance for links to a variety of city agencies and private organizations.
- Housing Court Answers (212-962-4795) offers information about Housing Court as well as referrals to charities and public assistance programs that provide financial assistance to tenants facing eviction.
- The Coalition for the Homeless assistance for being evicted, needing housing, coping with domestic violence, having shelter problems, and more.
- Catholic Charities (888-744-7900) may provide a one-time grant for back rent payments.
- Income-eligible seniors and the disabled who are either rent stabilized; rent controlled; or Mitchell-Lama, can have their rent frozen at its current rate under a program called the NYC Rent Freeze Program (SCRIE/DRIE). Visit NYC Freeze Your Rent for information and referrals. Also see HCR Fact Sheet #21 on the Special Rights of Seniors. The Community Service Society (CSS) also offers information on public benefit tools and housing resources on their CSS Public Benefits and Housing Information Line: 212-614-5552.
- Tenant advocacy organizations such as the Met Council on Housing (212-979-0611).
Where can I get information about affordable housing for seniors?
If you live in a rent regulated apartment, or you live in a subsidized rental or co-op such as a Mitchell-Lama building, you can apply for the NYC Rent Freeze Program for Seniors (SCRIE). SCRIE exempts senior citizens who have a household income under $50,000 and pay over 1/3 of their income for rent, from all or part of future rent increases.
For more information about the program, view the HCR Fact Sheet #21 on the Special Rights of Seniors or visit NYC Freeze Your Rent.
Additional information can be found in our Additional Housing Resources – Seniors webpage.
What are the income limits for “affordable” housing programs?
Affordable housing programs have a variety of income limits. When apartments are made available through a lottery, specific income levels are indicated.
Are 20% of new luxury buildings set aside for middle income tenants? How can I find “80/20” housing in NYC?
Under the “80/20” program, 20% of the units in certain newly constructed buildings are set aside for low- and moderate-income households. The rest (the 80%) of the units are rented at market rates. Developers of new housing are not required to participate in this program, but if a developer does, they receive low interest bond financing.
A current list of open waiting lists is maintained by the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) and the Housing Development Corporation (HDC).
How can I get help in buying affordable housing?
There are many resources that you can look into to find and purchase affordable housing. Start by contacting the following organizations:
- NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) is very active in providing housing for low-income families. They have information about a number of housing programs.
- NYS Mortgage Agency (SONYMA) is the local government body that helps provide mortgages for low and moderate-income families.
- Other organizations that help low-income families purchase housing include:
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Ginnie Mae