It is important to note that these FAQs are not intended as a substitute for the definitions, interpretations, etc., contained in the respective rent regulatory statutes, codes, and regulations themselves, or any administrative or court decision construing such statutes, codes, and regulations, or any order of the New York City or County Rent Guidelines Boards.
What fees can rent stabilized tenants be charged?

There are certain fees that owners may charge tenants that are separate and apart from the rent. Fees of any kind cannot become a part of the legal or preferential rent and cannot be added to the rent for the purpose of calculating lease renewal increases.

There are certain surcharges that owners may charge tenants that are separate and apart from the rent. Surcharges of any kind cannot become a part of the legal or preferential rent and cannot be added to the rent for the purpose of calculating lease renewal increases.

For additional information, see DHCR’s Surcharge and Fees webpage.

With passage of the Housing Stability & Tenant Protection Act (HSTPA) of 2019, application fees (including background checks) are limited to $20. If you have a stabilized apartment, you may file a complaint with Homes and Community Renewal (HCR).

Effective November 21, 2022, fees (surcharges) for tenant-installed air conditioning units if the tenant pays for the electric utility service are no longer permitted.

A complete list of fees that are lawful and unlawful can be found in HCR Fact Sheet #44: Fees.

More information on fees can also be found in this FAQ: Guidance for Real Estate Professionals Concerning the Statewide Housing Security & Tenant Protection Act of 2019.

Back to Top

Can the landlord charge me a late fee?

Late fees where a clause in the initial vacancy lease allows for them to be charged by a certain specific date and such late fees are the lesser of $50 or 5% of the monthly rent currently being charged and collected. Preferential rents, which may also be referred to as “on-time rent,” that are conditioned on prompt payment of rent or terminate upon late payment of rent are not allowed.

Additional information can be found in HCR Fact Sheet #44: Fees.

Back to Top

The new owner says I can’t keep my dog – What are the rules?

Unless the pet can be considered a “service animal” used those with a disability, whether pets are permitted is at the discretion of the building owner and is usually stipulated in the lease. If a tenant keeps a pet in the apartment without the building owner’s permission, it may be considered a serious violation of the lease and may be a basis for terminating tenancy. In addition, many animals cannot be kept legally as pets in the City of New York. For more information on pet regulations, call 311.

You can also learn about the rules and regulations of keeping pets in New York City apartments from these guides to pets.

Back to Top

My landlord has served eviction papers. How long will it take to get evicted, and should I show up in Housing Court?

First, the landlord legally must serve you with written termination of your tenancy. The notice must state that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that refusal to vacate will lead to eviction proceedings. Subsequently, if you receive eviction papers from court and you do not appear in court, it is possible that the judge may simply order your eviction and issue a warrant of eviction. We cannot say for certain how long it would take to evict you because each case is different. In some cases, the violation complained of may be “cured” to end the threat of eviction. In other situations, the tenant may have valid procedural or substantive defenses to eviction. Sometimes, even when judgment is issued against the tenant, if hardship is shown, an eviction may be “stayed” for up to a year by the judge.

The process of eviction is discussed in more detail on HCR’s Eviction webpage and in the Attorney General’s Tenants’s Rights Guide. Detailed information can also be found in A Tenant’s Guide to NYC Housing Court guide.

The NYC Tenant Resource Portal offers an Eviction Prevention Tool to help renters navigate public and private resources that can stabilize their housing situation. A tenant seeking help will be taken through a series of questions and directed to the most useful resources based on their responses.

You are strongly advised to consult an attorney to assess your individual situation. If you cannot afford an attorney and do not qualify for Legal Aid or Legal Services, please visit our Legal Assistance page. Information and assistance may also available from the NYC Dept of Homeless Services.

Information about eviction and the role of city marshals may be found on the NYC Dept. of Investigation Marshal Evictions FAQ page.

Back to Top

How do I obtain a lawyer?

Please visit our Legal Assistance page for a variety of available resources.

Back to Top

Where can I find demographic data on NYC tenants?

Since 1962, in order to fulfill its responsibilities under various rent control and rent stabilization laws, New York City has regularly retained the U.S. Census Bureau to conduct a comprehensive triennial survey of the New York City housing market. The resulting NYC Housing and Vacancy Survey (HVS) is an invaluable source of information about the state of the City’s housing stock, residential population, and other housing-related issues and trends. Findings from the 2023 HVS, and earlier surveys, are available on our HVS Research page.

Back to Top

Can you tell me about Article 78 proceedings?

Article 78 is under Civil Practice Law and Rules, Sections 7801-7806 entitled “Proceedings Against a Body or Officer.” An Article 78 proceeding involves a legal challenge before the New York State Supreme Court designed to review the final decision of an administrative agency.

The following is an example of the implementation of Article 78: A tenant files an overcharge complaint with the HCR. The HCR finds for the tenant and the landlord is ordered to pay damages. The landlord then files a Petition for Administrative Review (PAR) with the HCR and the original overcharge decision is overruled by the HCR Commissioner. At this point the tenant can use Article 78 to challenge the reversal of the overcharge decision. Parties involved in disputes before the HCR will receive notice of their right to file an Article 78 proceeding following a final decision by the agency. Such challenges must occur within a short time frame provided by the law – in the case of challenges to HCR decisions, litigants have only 60 days to file. For more information, contact Homes and Community Renewal (HCR).

Back to Top

Are there guidelines for parking spaces in rent stabilized buildings?

A parking space in the garage of a rent-stabilized building is an “ancillary service” that may be provided pursuant to the lease for the apartment or pursuant to a separate rental agreement.

Whether the garage rent is subject to stabilization is typically influenced by three factors: whether there is a separate charge for the apartment and for the space; whether the building owner was providing the space to the tenant when the building became subject to regulation; and whether the building and garage are owned and operated, directly or indirectly, by the same person or company.

On the other hand, if there were initially separate leases for the space and for the apartment, and the building and garage are or were owned or operated by different companies — whether at the time the building became subject to regulation or afterward — then the parking space would probably not be subject to rent stabilization.

For more information, contact Homes and Community Renewal (HCR).

Back to Top

To determine if your building is classified as a residential building, contact the City’s Citizen Service Center by dialing 311 and ask for information regarding Certificate of Occupancy, or visit NYC Dept. of Buildings and look the building up. If your building does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, it may not be a legal residence.

If the building is residential but not stabilized, there are no limits on the amount of rent that can be charged. Contact Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) to determine if your apartment is stabilized.

If the certificate of occupancy does not permit residential use, the owner may not be able to sue you for rent although the owner may seek to remove you from the space. For more information on tenant rights, consult the NY State Attorney General’s Tenants’ Rights Guide (Also in Spanish).

In addition, you may want to call one of the New York City tenant organizations such as Tenants and Neighbors 212-608-4320 or Met Council 212-979-0611 for advice.

Back to Top

What is the Apartment Sharing Law mentioned in my lease?

The apartment sharing law is a provision of the Real Property Law (RPL). The RPL is the basic, substantive statute governing landlord-tenant relations in New York City. The apartment sharing provision (Real Property Law §§235-f) generally covers rights (and limits) to additional occupants in rental households. It is also known as the Roommate Law.

Here is a summary of the provision: Landlords may limit the total number of people living in an apartment to comply with legal overcrowding standards. However, it is unlawful for a landlord to restrict occupancy of an apartment to the named tenant in the lease or to that tenant and immediate family.

When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant’s dependent children, provided that the tenant or the tenant’s spouse occupies the premises as his/her primary residence.

When the lease names more than one tenant, these tenants may share their apartment with immediate family, and if one of the tenants named in the lease moves out, that tenant may be replaced with another occupant and the dependent children of the occupant. At least one of the tenants named in the lease or that tenant’s spouse must occupy the shared apartment as his or her primary residence. Tenants must inform their landlords of the name of any occupant within 30 days after the occupant has moved into the apartment or within 30 days of landlord’s request for this information. If the tenant named in the lease moves out, the remaining occupant has no independent right to continue in occupancy.

More information on roommates is available in our Apartment Hunting guide and our Roommates FAQ.

Back to Top

What is an apartment referral service?

Apartment referral services are essentially organizations that provide listings for apartments for a fee. They are generally not licensed real estate brokers and do not provide the same service that brokers do.

You can find a list of on-line referral services in our Apartment Hunting guide.

In addition, see the NY State Attorney General’s Tenants’ Rights Guide (Also in Spanish).

Back to Top

Do I have to fill out a personal information form sent recently by my landlord?

Generally, the only information that a landlord may demand while a tenant is in occupancy is the names, ages and relationships (whether family members, roommates, etc.) of all persons occupying the apartment. If you live in a rent regulated unit, contact Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), the state agency which administers the rent laws, to find out more.

If you obtain a new roommate, the landlord is entitled to the name of the roommate. If you seek to sublet, the landlord may make a variety of inquiries about the proposed subtenant and the reasons for the sublet.

Note, however, that the above does not apply to applications for an apartment which you have not yet rented, or to renewals in unregulated apartments. Landlords may make a variety of inquiries to determine if you are a credit-worthy and desirable tenant prior to renting you an apartment.

Back to Top